5.14.2010

Commiserating

Right now the city of Cleveland is crying. My city, the one I was raised in has been defeated yet again. This is a story that is told over and over again multiple times a year for various teams within the community. This is a city that is used to the drink of sorrow over another loss. It's the same story, different year.

Right now I am focusing more than ever on improving myself. I am working toward becoming the person I truly want to be. I am determined to change my path and grow along the ways.

This all seems familiar. For the past few years I've witnessed the team suffer immense defeat, only to be swept up in the optimism of a fresh new season the following Fall. Despite the loss, the team comes back feeling rejuvenated and confident. A few months after an immense failure, the city starts awakening, and people start to cheer again.

That is an inspiring aspect of being on the losing end. The losing side has felt the raw emotions of disappointment, and yet they come back as determined as ever to turn it around and better themselves. Wherever there is a loss there is a chance for improvement, and despite the fact that expectations may be broken again, those expectations are not faltered.

I dislike watching a team that I have grown to respect throughout a season of watching them play loose. I would much rather see them figure out their issues and win, though at the same time that defeat is what humanizes those guys who this city is so in awe of. I can't wait for next year when hope is restored and the growth begins.

Though I hope my growth will begin sooner than the Fall, I feel inspired right now to pick up my pieces and put them together in a way that makes sense to me. My life is very good right now, but I still don't feel like I am a winner, and I need to change that just like this city.

No comments: